Using Introspection to Create Commitment

Going to Memphis was going to be  day when I had so much time, that I wasn't sure what I would do with myself.  Yeah right.....

It was a pretty easy drive and again, slowing down gave me lots of time to ponder things.  Things that took up some of my energy were:

    - There are a ton of breweries on my travels.  Distilleries- which I figured since we were in Kentucky and Tennessee which are whiskey companies.  I then wondered about the type of beer Christopher drinks.  I am clueless on that.  I know what I like, but not what others do.  

    - I was thinking about my trip 12 years ago.  How the heck did I know where I was going?  I am so thankful for GPS which you can put in a city, place or address and it takes you there.  So fantastic.  While I still like to look at a map, I like to trust that I am on the right road.  

    - Part of my struggle this trip is deciding what to go see, where to stay and being conscious of not imposing on other people just because I feel a need to talk.  I wonder if maybe the next trip should be a tour where the activities and hotels are all planned.

    -It is amazing to have a front line view of the supply chain distribution process.  There were a lot of semi trucks on the road over the weekend, but today, Monday, was unbelievable.  I think there were 8 semi's for every 20 vehicles I saw.  

    - You know how motorcyclists do the hand dip when they pass each other.  I did not see any evidence of the truck drivers having some 'comradery' type thing going on.  In fact they would get very close to each other, did not seem to let another one in while passing and did not seem to slow or speed up when in the m middle of traffic.  I swear, I was passed so often and I was generally doing the speed limit.

    - I started wondering if country music songs are painting an unrealistic picture of life and love.  Am I wanting something unrealistic?  I wondered if I should switch genres.  I tried to listen to the today's Hits Station on SXM, but that didn't seem to connect either.  

    -I remembered hearing yesterday that the Taco Bell in Nashville Music Row area serves alcohol.  I probably should have stopped when I was leaving just to see what they actually served.

    -Knowing I had to get gas, I kept watching for a Mobil or Exon gas station.  Might as well get m points.  When I finally found one, the gas was 20 cents more per gallon then when I first thought about getting it.  So much for being a good dutch girl.  
 
Arriving in Memphis it was 80 degrees and 12:30pm.  Leaving Memphis it was 88 degrees at 5:30pm.

My day in Memphis was wonderful, sad, walking down memory lane, still wanting to see the change needed in this country, and exhausting going from one emotional event to another at the National Civil Rights Museum that is housed in the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King was killed.  The story started with the enslaved from Africa, the economics for the country, the forefathers and their involvement, the abolition, the states making their own rules, segregation and those who worked so hard to end it, the people who tried to make changes - peaceful and radical - the migration from southern states to northern and still the gap in education, health, prosperity etc.  

And then it got meaningful for me - things that happened while I was young and heard about and those that I was old enough to be aware of.   The Montgomery Bus Boycott (Rosa Parks), the March on Washington, Bloody Sunday, The Freedom Bus Riders, John Lewis, Malcom X, The Chicago Freedom Movement which led to riots in many cities, School Integration and Ruby Bridges, music that became a message for all - the many black and white artists.......I could go on.  It was very emotional for me.  

One thing I did not know was that JFK was a bit more ambivalent than many of us knew.  He did not step in a couple of time when he could have.  He wanted to negotiate his involvement, he did not want to go up against the states and governors, etc,  It was not until there was an outrage from people after the bus bombings, the church bombings that he finally sent in federal troops and was forced to take a stronger stand which led to his starting the draw up the Civil Rights Act.

I must say, that in many ways, LBJ was the blessing that the Civil Rights  needed- his talks of equality really had an impact.  He connected with many of the black leaders and heard them and encouraged them..  (Quick thought - do you think that is why he doesn't get much credit as most of the white world did not accept that people could not be treated differently based on race?)

The pictures and videos of events that happened made my heart sad.  And I have to admit that I thought that not much has changed.  While many blacks have come far - not all.  And now, we have LGBTQ that is struggling for equal rights - and women who may no longer have their own choices.    I admit I was fairly depressed - yet uplifted for being informed and wanting to be part of the solution not part of the problem.  Don't get me started on Critical Race theory............

After the museum, I went across the street to get some Memphis BBQ, knowing that while I once thought I would go down to Beale Street for music, I just needed to get on the road again and mull over what I know and don't know.  

So......I started towards Little Rock and looked for an exit that advertised motels.  My Dutch girl got the best of me based on the $300 hotel the night before so I went for cheap.  Lesson learned.  This one is not the best, but once you  book on line you have no choice.  :-)  My hope is that this is not where I take my last breath.  I am definitely am a higher priced girl than an Econo Lodge.  

The one thing I have promised myself is to read more on the movement and on some people who made a difference.  And to not waver in doing my part..........

Introspection and commitment is needed for personal and social growth.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Day is a New Story

Where are you From Game

Overthinking or UnderFeeling